Materials & Care
Merlin Earrings are generally 18 k gold plated, but in some stores you will find brass ones.
Gold plating is a process where a thin layer of gold is placed on the surface of a different material. As it is a thin layer of gold, extra care should be taken to maximize its lifespan.
Tips on caring for your gold plated jewelry:
- Do not spray on perfume or other sprays while wearing your gold plated jewelry. Put on your plated jewelry after you have applied lotion or put on makeup.
- Every after use, clean your plated jewelry with a cotton ball or a very soft cloth to remove any dust and dirt it has acquired.
- Remove your jewelry before swimming, bathing and exercising.
- To avoid scratches, wrap your jewelry in a soft cloth after cleaning or keep it in a jewelry box separate from other types of jewelry you have.
Brass is a metal alloy of copper and zinc. Known for its durability and workability, brass has been used for centuries — the first example of brass jewelry dates from ancient Rome. Aside from how good it looks, brass is sustainable. Today almost 90% of all brass in the world is recycled.
Tips on caring for your brass jewelry:
- Store your earrings in a plastic bag or a glass jar away from air, natural sunlight and heat. Brass don't mix well with moisture. Avoid contact with water, lotion and perfume.
- Since there is no plating over brass earrings, they are easy to clean, and you don’t need to worry about the color wearing off. Since brass is a natural alloy it will gradually patina over time with exposure to oxygen and moisture. If you prefer a bright sheen, this effect can be removed with a quick polish. The brass earrings can be cleaned using ingredients you may already have at home, toothpaste, lemon juice, baking soda or vinegar. Especially tootpaste works very well. Rub onto surface with a little toothpaste then rinse off, it will shine !